Philippe Coutinho hands in transfer request at Liverpool – source
Phillippe Coutinho has submitted a transfer request as he looks to move to Barcelona, a source has told ESPN FC.
The development comes after Liverpool’s owners, Fenway Sports Group, released a statement on Friday saying “no offers for Philippe will be considered.”
The Premier League club received the request directly from the player via email on Friday afternoon.
Liverpool rejected a second bid from Barcelona for Coutinho worth up to €100 million on Wednesday and considered the matter closed.
Sky Sports News, which reported the news of the transfer request earlier on Friday, had quoted an unnamed member of Coutinho’s family as saying: “Philippe has tried very hard to find an amicable solution but to no avail.
“He has tremendous love for the club and fans but, like Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez have pointed out in the past, Liverpool does not let its players leave on amicable terms.”
Sources close to the player told ESPN Brazil this week that Coutinho had been keen to move, Liverpool legend Gerrard, now working as academy coach at Anfield — said it would be down to the player to force an exit.
“At the end of the day it comes down to Philippe Coutinho and his decision and what he’s prepared to do, what type of war he’s prepared to create to get out, because Liverpool won’t make it easy for him,” Gerrard said in his role as a pundit for BT Sport.
Glenn is ESPN FC’s Liverpool correspondent. You can follow him on Twitter: @GlennPrice94.