Gianluigi Donnarumma not leaving AC Milan this summer – Mirabelli
Gianluigi Donnarumma won’t be allowed to leave AC Milan this summer, club sporting director Massimiliano Mirabelli has confirmed.
The 18-year-old goalkeeper told Milan last week he did not wish to renew his contract, which runs until the summer of 2018, opening up the prospect of a possible transfer this summer.
However, Mirabelli has insisted the Italy international won’t be sold, despite the San Siro club running the risk of losing the highly coveted keeper for free next summer.
“Donnarumma is a great champion, a great guy and a Milan player,” Mirabelli told Sportitalia. “For this next season, he will certainly play with us still.
“It’s the coach who makes the decisions. They say who will make the bench or sit in the stands — it is not in heaven or on earth.
“This applies to everyone — not only for Donnarumma, but also for the other players and those who will come.”
Donnarumma’s stance with Milan has upset many of the club’s supporters while making global headlines.
And on Sunday, in Krakow, Poland, at the Under-21 European Championships, Milan supporters showered the teenager with fake dollar bills.
They also hung a banner behind the goal that read “Dollarumma” and the match even needed to be stopped briefly while workers tried to clear the pitch.
Donnarumma’s agent, Mino Raiola, hit back at Milan later on Sunday, accusing the club of “bullying” his client and creating a hostile environment.
“The situation had become too violent and hostile, so there was no way out,” Raiola told Sky Sport Italia, Mediaset Premium and Rai Sport.
“We took a decision that we didn’t want to take. It was nothing to do with money. We were threatened. Donnarumma’s family was threatened, both with not playing anymore and threatened with death. You can’t keep a player by threatening him.
“Now there is a genuine risk he could miss a year. His quality makes that improbable, but this is already on the verge of bullying.
“We never even got to talk about money or release clauses, because we were not allowed to get that far, nor to think of what was best for Gigio. He was ready to sign a new contract, there were no doubts in his mind. They forced us to abandon the negotiations because of the environment created around him.
“I take the responsibility. They forced us. It was Milan that lost Donnarumma. He said to me, ‘honestly Mino, I don’t feel it is right to carry on negotiations when these people are insulting and threatening me and my family.’
“For example, there was a banner in front of the club headquarters. A club should protect its players and remove the banner. A club should support a player and encourage his career, not threaten him with having to be left in the stands.”
European champions Real Madrid are said to be leading the race for Donnarumma’s signature should he leave Milan, along with Serie A title-holders Juventus. Raiola, however, says he hasn’t spoken to any other clubs.
“I have not spoken to any big club. We do not have any agreement with any other team. He already had offers from Juventus, Real Madrid and big clubs when he was 14 years old, so if he wanted to go, he would’ve done earlier. I can assure you there will be no rapid transfer.
“I had already guaranteed we would not leave on a free transfer, so there was no rush to get the contract signed. I wanted a more gradual approach.”
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.